"Have I gone mad?"
"I'm afraid so, but I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Years Resolutions and the Year in Review

"I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the technique of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When you learn to master the principle of setting a goal, you will then be able to make a great difference in the results you attain in this life." --Elder M. Russell Ballard

Everyone goes around setting goals at the start of each and every New Year. And then those goals get abandoned a few weeks into the year, if not sooner. I really hope that I will be able to stick to mine. I don't care if I miss a few days of some, or struggle with them, I just hope to struggle, and really care to achieve them, you know? So here goes, my list of goals for 2009.

-Set a daily scripture study plan, and stick to it! Try to implement in Preach My Gospel when possible.
-Limit my internet time - by a lot!
-Do my homework THE NIGHT IT IS ASSIGNED. That will save a lot of stress and heartache later.
-Go to the temple once a week.
-Magnify my calling! I love my calling! Why not do all I can do magnify it?
-Budget. No, really, I can do this.
-Perform more service. I often find myself thinking of things I can do, but not doing them. I've got to change that.
-Get my GPA above a 3.0 this semester. (Yes, my grades fall semester were that bad. Don't say anything.) KEEP it above a 3.0 next semester, and try to get it above 3.5 in the semesters to come.
-Pray more for others, and for me to be an instrument in God's hands.
-Watch what I eat, cut back on fast food and sweets. Yes to veggies!
-Write in my journal more.

I know this is kind of long, but I think I can do it. I think I'm going to break each of these down into smaller goals in my journal, but for my blog, this is sufficient :)
I am so excited for this new year. Just for a fresh start, and a fresh change. There's always a crisp newness in the air in January, and I like it. I am so grateful for the things in my life. Friends, family, my ward, my calling... Life is going so well right now, and I have nothing to really get down on myself about. Things happen, and I just need to take them as they come... I feel like making another list, entitled, Things I am Especially Grateful for at the End of 2009.

-Ayisha. Hands down, she is my best friend. She has gotten my through tough times this year. Without her, I would be a complete wreck! We've always been close since 7th grade, but our friendship has been kind of sporatic, but we've always known that we're there for each other, and we always drift back together. We've gotten increasingly closer this year, and I'm so grateful for her. She always knows what to say, and what to do. Everyone needs a best friend like her. I love you Ish!
-Dani. How many people have a best friend they've known since they were 10, and then get to live with them in college? Dani has been great... We've been going through some of the same things this year, and I truly think we have been placed in each others lives for this moment. I love her to death.
-Aaron, and Collin. These boys can make my day, even from Washington and New Caledonia. Aaron is the twin brother I always wanted, but never had. Collin is like... the dog I never had. Just kidding. He's so great! I miss them both, and can't wait for them to come home. In the meantime, keep those letters coming!
-Caleb, and his leaving on a mission. We've been through so many things together, and I love him. We're truly stonger because of each other, and having him gone has strengthened me a lot spiritually, mentally and just all around. I'm so proud of him.
-Mom/Charity. What an awesome family I have. It may be small, but I love them.
-My MG's. Oh girls, if I hadn't meet you, I don't know where I would be! These girls always know what to say, and what to do. We're a support for each other, and best friends as friends could be. I'll love these girls forever.
-My job. Thank goodness for Joe Baxter who told me to apply. I've made so many great friends, and just had blast working at Seven Peaks in the summer, as well as now. I've learned so much, and am contemplating making HR my career. I've been blessed to have been moved up in the company, and to have a contract signed through the end of September. Upper management is wonderful, and I get lots of perks too :) I absolutely love my job, and the people I work with.
-My ward/calling. This ward has been amazing. I love Bishop Jeffs and his family. This ward has been fun, and spiritual, and exactly what I needed. I couldn't ask for better girls to be in the presidency with me - Corinne, Mal and Lili. How I love them!
-My ward besties. Emily, Natalie, and Landon... (As well as Leah, Riley, Josh, Amy and apts 33 and 36.) But most those top three... They have been a great stress reliever and support to me. I'm so glad I met them! I love these guys! College friends are like family.. You go through so much together!
-My testimony. It has been tried and tested this year, to be sure. At this time last year, I was at a spiritual low, and now I can say that even though I'm not at a complete high, my testimony has grown SO much stronger this year.
I love this Church, and Heavenly Father, and Christ so much. I'm so grateful for EVERYTHING. Even though this has been an incredibly hard year, I have been so blessed! New friends, new job, a new faith. No matter what stands in the way of me this year, I know that I can make it through.

3 comments:

Ayisha said...

BRITT I love you!! You are my BEST BEST friend thanks for saving my life. I'll try to help with your budgeting one...when I need to go shopping, I'LL buy something instead of you!! LOL I'm so proud of you! You're amazing and fantastic and these goals are awesome

Unknown said...

I love you Britt! You're goal list is inspiring. Mine is week sauce compared to yours.

Janae said...

He Britt, we miss you! You are always a ray of sunshine when we see you. I loved the comment about Collin. I feel the same way! Good luck on the goals, you inspired me. Maybe I will make some. Janae